This dish is basically a crustless quiche; serve it hot, cold, or at room temperature.
- Butter, for pan
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 baking potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled
- 10 ounces sugar-baked ham, thinly sliced (less than 1/4 inch thick)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli, thawed and squeezed dry with paper towels
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch-round cake pan (at least 2 inches deep). Line bottom of pan with a parchment-paper round.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and cream; season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice potatoes (less than 1/4 inch thick); drop into egg mixture.
Lifting potatoes out of egg mixture, arrange half the potatoes in pan. Layer with ham, broccoli, cheese, and remaining potatoes. Pour egg mixture over top. Press down firmly so that potatoes are fully submerged in egg mixture.
Cover with foil; bake until potatoes are tender, about 1 hour. Uncover; continue baking until golden and set, 30 to 45 minutes more.
Cool 15 to 20 minutes in pan. Run a knife around edge, and carefully invert onto a plate. Peel off parchment. Reinvert, top side up. Slice with a serrated knife.